Sacha's lemon and lime cake
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Sacha says: 'I combined and adapted my favourite carrot cake topping and frosted lemon cake recipe, together with my homemade lemon curd to create this gorgeous cake'
IngredientsFor the lemon and lime cake:
- 180g/6oz self-raising flour
- 180g/6oz caster sugar
- 60g/2oz ground almonds
- 120g/4oz butter
- 2 medium eggs
- 5tbsp milk
- Grated rind of 2 large lemons
For the lemon curd filling:
- 4-5 tbsp of lemon curd (try Sacha's homemade lemon curd)
For the lime icing:
- Grated rind of a lime
- Juice of a lime
- 75g/3oz sieved icing sugar
- 125g/4oz unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 x 300g tub full-fat cream cheese (at room temperature)
- Sliced fresh limes for decoration (optional)
- 2 x 20cm/8in sandwich tins
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Fan 180ºC/gas 6. Grease 2 sandwich tins and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
- For the lemon and lime cake: Place the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat together until smooth, add the eggs and combine. Then sift in the flour and add in the ground almonds and milk and mix together until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins until cooked (or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean). Allow to cool slightly, then remove from tins and place onto a cooling rack.
- To make the lime icing: Beat the butter in a bowl using an electric whisk, then add the cream cheese. Combine until smooth, add the lime juice and zest then add icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- Spread the lemon curd on top of one of the cakes then place the other cake on top to sandwich together.
- Spread the lime icing on the top of the sandwiched cakes then decorate with lime if you wish. Enjoy!