Mary Berry's lemon drizzle cake recipe
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Mary Berry is the queen of baking so if you're looking for a classic lemon drizzle cake recipe, this is the one to try. Mary Berry's lemon drizzle cake recipe is one of the most popular recipes on GoodtoKnow and has been tried and loved by pretty much the whole of the team! This classic Mary Berry lemon drizzle cake recipe is full of citrus flavour and is perfect for all baking abilities, from beginners to those who fancy a spot in The Great British Bake Off tent! The light and zesty lemon sponge is glazed with a crunchy lemon drizzle icing, made with a simple sugar and lemon mixture. We love this lemon cake recipe for a lazy Sunday afternoon with a warm cuppa or even as a treat during the week for afternoon tea. This recipe for lemon drizzle cake will take approximately 55 mins to prepare and bake, so you donít even have to spend that much time in the kitchen to make this easy lemon drizzle cake. This lemon cake recipe serves up to 6 people, so itís perfect if youíre having a small group of friends over. This lemon drizzle cake is so good that we doubt youíll leftovers. But if you do, you can store this cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days and enjoy it later.
The lemon loaf will keep for 3 days and will freeze well for up to 2 months uniced.
IngredientsFor the lemon drizzle cake:
- 1Ĺ large eggs
- 87.5g (3 oz) self-raising flour
- 87.5g (3 oz) caster sugar
- 87.5g (3 oz) softened butter
- ĺ level tsp baking powder
- Finely grated zest of Ĺ lemon
- 50g (2 oz) granulated sugar
- Juice of Ĺ lemon
- 450g (1lb) loaf tin, greased and lined
- Preheat the oven to 180ļC, gas 4.
- Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, butter, baking powder and lemon zest until smooth in a large mixing bowl and turn into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35 mins, or until golden brown, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch.
- While the cake is still warm, make the lemon drizzle topping. Mix together the sugar and lemon juice, and pour over the warm cake.
- Leave to cool a little and loosen the sides of the cake, then lift the cake out of the tin.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.