Mary Berry's Victoria sandwich
Cooking time:(or 20 mins for 15cm (6in) cake)
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Mary Berry's Victoria sandwich recipe is a classic from The Great British Bake Off judge. Learn how to make her sponge with this easy all-in-one method. Her large all-in-one Victoria sandwich is perfect for all baking abilities and only takes 35 mins to make in total, so you don’t have to spend ages in the kitchen to bake this delicious cake. This Mary Berry Victoria sponge is sandwiched together with strawberry jam. If you want to make this Victoria sandwich cake a dessert cake we'd recommend using freshly whipped cream alongside the jam for the filling. This cake serves between 6-8 people, so you know you’ll have a slice for everyone if you have people coming round for a cup of tea. This Victoria sandwich will last up to 3 days in an airtight container or Tupperware – but we doubt you’ll have any leftovers! Mary Berry's Victoria sandwich cake is part of Mary Berry’s Baking Bible book, and it comes out perfectly every time. Once you've perfected this classic you can try other fillings or flavours in your sponge as well as experimenting with decoration too. Trust us, this Mary Berry Victoria sandwich will be your most requested recipe from the first time you make it!
The all-in-one method takes away the hassle of creaming, and ensures success every time. Baking spreads give an excellent result, but the cake won’t keep as long.
IngredientsFor the large all-in-one Victoria sandwich:
- 225 g (8 oz) softened butter
- 225 g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225 g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 2 x 20cm (8in) greased and lined sandwich tins
Or for an 18 cm (7 in) Victoria sandwich:
- 3 large eggs
- 175g (6oz) of softened butter
- 175g (6oz) of caster sugar
- 175g (6 oz) of self-raising flour
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder.
- 2 x 18 cm (7 in) greased and lined sandwich tins
Or for a 15 cm (6 in) Victoria sandwich (see cooking time):
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g (4 oz) of softened butter
- 100 g (4 oz) of caster sugar,
- 100 g (4 oz) of self-raising flour
- 1tsp of baking powder.
- 2 x 15cm (6 in) greased and lined sandwich
For the filling and topping:
- 4tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
- A little caster sugar, for sprinkling
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease two sandwich tins then line the base of each tin with baking parchment.
- Measure the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder into a large bowl and beat until thoroughly blended. Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and level out.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes or until well risen and the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes then turn out, peel off the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- When completely cold, sandwich the cakes together with the jam. Sprinkle with caster sugar to serve.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.