Italian-style chicken with olives
- 2kg free-range chicken, jointed, or 6 skin-on breasts
- 2tbsp light olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- small glass white wine
- 1x400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 350g fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk fresh rosemary, leaves chopped
- 100g black olives, stoned
if the sauce is a little thick , just add a splash of water to loosen.
- Season the chicken. Heat half the oil in a large sauté pan and brown the chicken pieces on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the onions and celery for about 6-8 mins, until soft.
- Add the garlic and wine and bubble for 2 mins. Then add the tinned and fresh tomatoes, sun-dried tomato paste, vinegar, herbs and olives; season.
- Put the chicken back in, bring the sauce to the boil, loosely cover, then turn the heat down and simmer for 40 mins.
- Serve up with your favourite pasta or potatoes and plenty of crusty bread to mop up all the saucy goodness.
Not sure what to do with leftovers? Our leftover chicken recipes are sure to inspire!
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 353(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
- Saturates 2.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.