Roasted red pepper ketchup
- 4 large red peppers, quartered and deseeded
- 350ml (12fl oz) red wine vinegar
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cooking apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Sprig of thyme
- 8 level tablespoons granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sterilised bottles, with vinegar-proof seals
If you would prefer a more spicy ketchup, the add the chilli seeds to the pan with all the other vegetables.
- Spread the red pepper quarters out on a grill pan, skin-side up, and cook them under a hot grill until the skins char. Remove peppers from the grill and place them in a freezer bag and leave them to cool. It should then be easy to peel off the skins. Discard the skins and roughly chop the pepper flesh.
- Place the red pepper flesh in a large pan with the vinegar, onion, apple, chillies (add chilli seeds if you prefer a spicier ketchup), bay leaf and thyme. Pour 600ml (1 pint) water into the pan. Place it over a moderate heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-40 mins until the vegetables have softened.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme from the pan and then purée the vegetables, or whizz them using a stick blender. Press the mixture through a sieve and discard the pulp.
- Return the purée to a clean pan and add the granulated sugar and seasoning. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 45-60 mins, over a gentle heat until the ketchup has thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and use a funnel to fill warm bottles. Leave ketchup to cool before sealing bottles. It may be stored in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months. Once opened, keep the bottles in the fridge.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 22(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.