Rhubarb and ginger jam
- 1kg (2¼lb) rhubarb, sliced into 2-3cm (¾-1¼in) lengths
- Zested rind and juice of 1 lemon50g (1¾oz) root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1kg (2¼lb) granulated sugar
- 8g sachet pectin
- Knob of butter
- Sterilised jam jars, wax discsand lids or cellophane covers
- Put rhubarb in a bowl. Add the lemon rind and juice, and sliced root ginger. Mix the granulated sugar and pectin together and then pour it over the rhubarb. Stir to coat with the sugar. Cover the bowl and leave it overnight.
- Place a small plate in the freezer to chill.
- Transfer the mixture to preserving pan or large pan and place the pan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and boil the jam rapidly for 6-8 mins. Turn off the heat. Spoon a little of the mixture on to the chilled plate. Leave it for a few mins to see if the jam starts to set. If it gets a skin, press it with your finger to see if it wrinkles. If it does, the jam is ready. If not, return the pan to the heat and boil for a further 1-2 mins, then test the set of it again. Keep repeating this until it reaches setting point.
- Remove most of the scum from the surface of the jam, and stir in the butter to help disperse any remaining scum.
- Leave the jam to cool slightly before potting it, to help keep the fruit in suspension. If it’s potted while too hot, it will rise the top of the jars. Pour jam into warm jars, filling them as high as possible. Place the wax discs on top of the surface, wax-side down, making sure that there are no air bubbles under the paper.
- Leave to cool and cover the jars with lids or cellophane covers. It will keep in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months. Once jars are open, store them in the fridge.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 40(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.