Green tomato chutney
IngredientsFor the green tomato chutney:
- 1kg (2¼lb) green tomatoes,roughly chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 30g (1oz) fresh ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 large cooking apples, peeled, pips removed and chopped
- 250g (8oz) sultanas or raisins
- 1 level tbs yellow mustard seeds
- 1 level tbs salt
- 5cm (2in) piece cinnamon
- 2 pieces star anise
- 300ml (½ pint) cider vinegar
- 150ml (¼ pint) orange juice
- 500g (1lb) light muscovado sugar
- Sterilised jars with vinegar-proof lids
This will keep in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months. Once jars are open, store in the fridge.
- Put all of the ingredients, except the muscovado sugar,into a preserving pan or large non-aluminium pan. Place the pan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 1-1½ hours, or until the ingredients have softened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Return the pan to the heat and simmer the mixture gently for about 1 hour, or until the mixture has thickened. The mixture will need stirring occasionally to begin with but, as it thickens, it will need mor regular stirring to make sure that it doesn’t catch and burn the base of the pan.
- Spoon the chutney into warm jars, ensuring that there are no air bubbles trapped in the mixture. Leave it to go cold, then cover the jars with vinegar-proof lids.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 31(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.