Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1 medium aubergine, sliced into 12 large slices and halved
- 1 onion, peeled, quartered and leaves pulled apart roughly
- 1 orange or red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 courgettes, trimmed and cut into wedges
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3tsp fresh oregano (or 2tsp dried)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 6 medium potatoes, unpeeled and thickly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
This could be cooked on the hob, for about an hour. If the sauce looks as though it’s disappearing, mix some tomato ketchup with a little hot water and stir it into the vegetables.
- Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C. Put a roasting tin in the oven to heat up. Add the oil and toss the aubergine, onion, pepper and courgettes in the oil, in the hot tin and roast for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, put the can of tomatoes, oregano and garlic in small pan, and simmer over a medium heat for 10 minutes, until reduced by about a third.
- Mix the slices of potato in with the roasting vegetables, and spoon in the tomato sauce. Season well. Cover the tin with foil. Bake for 30 mins, then take off the foil and bake for another 20-25 mins, until the vegetables are tender. Leave for 5 mins before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 332(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.