Rachel's Oreo cookie butterfly buns
Skill level: Easy peasy
Rachel says: 'This is a fun twist on the traditional butterfly cakes I often enjoyed at parties during my childhood'
IngredientsFor the butterfly buns:
- 100g (3½ oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100g (3½ oz) self-raising flour
- 14g (½ oz) cocoa powder, sifted
For the Oreo buttercream icing:
- 18 Oreo cookies
- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 100g (3½ oz) icing sugar, sifted
Top be sure the cupcakes are cooked, poke the cakes in the centre with a cocktail stick and if the stick comes out clear you have a cooked cupcake.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4. Place 10 paper cases in a cupcake baking tray.
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar, using the paddle attachment of an electric mixer or by hand, until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating after each addition. Fold in the flour and cocoa powder.
- Fill each cupcake paper case half full. Don’t be tempted to overfill them as they will turn into a mess!
- Bake for 15 mins, or until the cakes are well risen and spring back to the touch. Remove the cakes to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Crush 8 of the Oreos into fine pieces in a bowl, then add the butter and icing sugar, along with 2tbsp of water. Whisk for 5 - 10 mins (the longer, the better) to give the icing lots of volume.
- Take the cooled cakes and with a knife, slice off the top part of each cake and scoop out a small crater about halfway deep. With a teaspoon, generously fill the craters with the Oreo buttercream icing.
- Take the remaining 10 Oreos and cut each one in half ( I find a quick heavy cut is best and makes the cookie less likely to crumble).
- Push a pair of Oreo 'wings' into the icing on each cake to create the butterfly effect.