Chicken drumstick roast
- 16 small potatoes (about 500-700g)
- 2 onions, unpeeled, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few fresh thyme sprigs
- Pared rind and juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 a cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Chicken thighs would work well in this recipe, too.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220°C. Put the potatoes, onion wedges, garlic and chicken drumsticks in a roasting tin. Sprinkle with the cumin seeds. Drizzle with the vinegar, oil and honey and season well. Tuck the thyme sprigs in among the other ingredients and add the pared rind of the orange.
- Roast for 20 mins, turn everything in the pan and roast for another 30 mins until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are golden.
- Add the orange juice to the tin and baste the chicken. Cook for another 10 mins.
- Cook the cabbage at the same time by mixing it with the oil on a baking tray. Put on the top shelf of the oven and cook for about 6 mins until crispy. Serve with the chicken roast.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 342(kcal)
- Fat 7.5g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.