Spiced apple and syrup sponge puddings
IngredientsFor the sponge pudding:
- 125g (4oz) butter, at room temperature
- 100g (3½oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 125g (4oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- ½ level tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 eating apple, peeled and grated
- 2tbsp milk
- 4tbsp golden syrup
- 1 eating apple, peeled, quartered, cored and sliced
- 4tbsp crème fraîche
- 4 x 150ml (¼ pint) pudding basins, moulds or heatproof cups, buttered and baselined
Squeeze a little lemon juice over the sliced apples to prevent them from browning. Reheat individual puddings (in a non-metallic container) in a microwave for 1 min, if necessary.
- Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C.
- To make the sponge: Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and cream together with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and continue whisking until smooth.
- Fold in the sieved flour and mixed spice. Add the grated apples and milk and gently fold together until evenly mixed.
- To make the topping: Take 1tbsp of golden syrup and put into the base of the prepared basins, moulds or cups. Repeat with the rest. Arrange a quarter of the sliced apples into the base of each. Spoon the sponge mixture on top.
- Put the puddings on to a baking tray and bake for 35 mins until risen, firm and a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cook for 5 more mins, if needed.
- Upturn the puddings on to serving plates, remove the non-stick paper and serve with a dollop of crème fraîche.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 525(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
- Saturates 12.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.