Sausages with parsnip apple mash
- 8 Lincolnshire sausages
- 400g (14oz) potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 400g (14oz) parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, quartered, cored and chopped
- 100ml (3Żoz) milk
- 50g (1żoz) butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ╝tsp ground nutmeg
- 3tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4tsp cranberry and caramelised red onion chutney (eg, Baxters Cranberry & Caramelised Red Onion Chutney)
- 1 eating apple, sliced horizontally, to serve (optional)
- 4 flat-leaf parsley sprigs, to serve (optional)
Stop sausages sticking to the roasting tin by using a Teflon-coated non-stick sheet. Rinse and reuse to save time scrubbing. Alternatively, use non-stick baking paper.
- Set oven to 200░C or gas mark 6. Line a roasting tin with a non-stick Teflon sheet. Separate sausages and arrange in the tin. Roast for 30 mins (turning once), until brown.
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes, parsnips and apples into a pan of salted water. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins.
- Drain potatoes. Return to pan. Keep heat on gently to dry out potatoes for 1 min. Add milk and butter. Turn off heat. Mash apples, potatoes and parsnips until smooth.
- Season and stir in nutmeg and parsley. Serve potatoes with sausages, and cranberry and caramelised red onion chutney.
- Pan-fry apple slices in a nonstick pan for 1 min, turn and cook until golden. Add slices to plates, and garnish with a sprig of parsley, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 575(kcal)
- Fat 33.0g
- Saturates 15.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.