Chicken tagine with couscous
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This Moroccan inspired dish is a great meal which can be made in just 20 minutes, perfect for a midweek supper!
IngredientsFor the Tagine
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1tsp ginger, finely grated
- 1tsp Moroccan spice mix (or use ½ tsp of cumin and ½ tsp of coriander and a pinch of turmeric)
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 200g tin chopped tomatoes
- 210g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1tbsp granular Canderel
- 300g chunks chicken breasts
For the couscous
- 125g couscous
- 200ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice and zest ½ a lemon
- Handful chopped coriander leaves
You could also serve this dish with some crusty bread, or mix together couscous with lemon juice and some chopped herbs.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the onion for about 3 minutes until starting to soften, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree and spice mix and cook 1 minute, stirring often until everything is well coated.
- Pour over the tomatoes followed by the chickpeas and Canderel. Bring up to the boil, and then add the chicken and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- To prepare the couscous, tip the couscous into a large bowl. Pour over the hot stock, cover the bowl with cling film and then leave for 10 minutes until the couscous has absorbed all the stock. Squeeze over the lemon juice; add the coriander and then mix in, fluffing up the couscous with a fork.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 340(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 3.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.