Chocolate Chelsea buns
IngredientsFor the buns:
- 350g (12oz) strong plain flour
- 50g (1¾oz) caster sugar
- 1 level tsp salt
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 50g (1¾oz) butter, melted
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 150ml (¼ pint) milk, lukewarm
- 6-8 tbsp chocolate and hazelnut spread, eg, Nutella
- 100g packet/carton dark or milk chocolate chunks/chips
- 18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) traybake tin, buttered
- Small disposable piping bag
If the rectangle of dough isn’t even, trim edges before spreading over the filling.
- Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar, salt and yeast. Mix together the butter, egg and milk, and add to the flour mixture. Mix the ingredients until they bind together to form a dough. Knead the dough, either in a food mixer with a dough hook or on a lightly floured surface, for about 5-10 mins until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Roll out the dough to a rectangle about 25 x 35.5cm (10 x 14in) on a lightly floured surface.
- Leaving one of the long edges clear, spread the chocolate and hazelnut spread over the dough and sprinkle half the chocolate chunks/chips over. Brush water along the clear edge, and then roll up the dough towards the clear edge, pressing well over the join.
- Cut the dough into 12 even-sized pieces. Put them on their sides, so that you can see the spiral shapes, and place them in the traybake tin.
- Cover the tin with oiled cling film or a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place for about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C.
- When the oven is hot, place the tin in the centre and bake for 20-30 mins, or until the dough is an even, golden colour and firm to the touch.
- Remove the buns from the tin, leaving them in one piece, and transfer them to a wire rack.
- Melt the remaining chocolate gently in a microwave oven or over a pan of hot water. Fill the piping bag with the chocolate and then cut off the end of the bag to give a small hole. Drizzle the chocolate randomly over the buns.
- Leave the chocolate to set before serving. Serve warm or cold, with the buns torn or cut into individual spirals.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 246(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.