Pesto-roasted butternut squash
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make our pesto-roasted butternut squash recipe, which is packed with plenty of flavour and will get the whole family well on their way to getting their 5 a day. This easy roasted butternut squash is perfect for sharing! This recipe serves 4 and will take around 1hr and 15 mins. Each portion works out at only 364 calories per serving. The whole family are going to love tucking into these tasty vegetables as a hearty lunch or filling dinner - even the kids will be excited to try this vibrant, mouth-watering dish. Our roasted butternut squash recipe is a real winner.
- 2 medium (approx 1kg) butternut squash
- ½tbsp green pesto
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1tbsp olive oil.
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 80g baby leaf spinach
- 2tbsp fresh green pesto
- 80g feta cheese, crumbled
- 35g sunblush tomatoes, drained and chopped.
- 1½tbsp pine nuts
Best roasted for a fuller, sweeter flavour, squashes can be mashed with nutmeg and butter to add to a Sunday roast, or whizzed with veg stock into soups and then there is no reason to peel them.
- Heat oven to 200C, gas 6.
- Cut the squash in half. Scoop out seeds and cut crosses over cut side. Brush with pesto and season. Cover with greased foil and bake for 1 hr or until tender.
- Put the onion in a roasting tin with olive oil. Cook for 25 mins.
- Add cherry tomatoes and bacon cook for 20 mins, then stir in spinach, pesto, feta cheese, crumbled, and sunblush tomatoes, drained and chopped. Season.
- Remove squash from oven. Scoop out a little of the flesh, chop and mix with the veg and fill the squashes. Sprinkle with a little crumbled feta and the pine nuts and bake for 10 mins until golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 364(kcal)
- Fat 23.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.