Gregg Wallace's white chocolate cherry tart
Prep time:(plus 30 mins chilling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
White chocolate and cherry is a fantastic combination. Sweet, almost wine-like, cherry juice against sugary white chocolate encased in a cinnamon pastry. Delicious!
- 175g (6oz) digestive biscuits, crushed
- 75g (3oz) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1kg (2lb) full-fat soft cheese
- 275g (9oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 40g (11/2oz) plain flour, sifted
- 300ml (1/2pint) soured cream
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- fresh or drained canned strawberries, to decorate
For a dark chocolate version, replace 5g (1⁄4oz) of the flour in the pastry with 5g (1⁄4oz) cocoa powder. In the filling, use finely chopped plain chocolate instead of white and use an extra 25g (1oz) caster sugar.
- To make the pastry, sift the flour and cinnamon into a bowl. Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and add enough of the water to mix to a firm dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Wrap in foil and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23 x 2.5 cm (9 x 1 inch) deep loose-bottomed flan tin. Trim off the excess pastry around the rim. Line the tart case with foil, fill with baking beans and bake in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, beat the eggs and sugar together in a bowl. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a small, heavy-based saucepan, then pour over the chocolate and
- stir until the chocolate has melted. Pour over the egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pit the cherries, if using fresh, or thoroughly drain the canned cherries. Arrange in the flan case. Pour the chocolate mixture over the cherries.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until the chocolate cream is set. Dust with cinnamon and serve warm, decorated with extra cherries if you like.