- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 500g carton passata (tomato sauce)
- 150g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 60g (2oz) orzo (rice-shaped) pasta
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube
- Good pinch of dried oregano
- About 125g (4oz) cooked vegetables, eg, carrots and parsnips, chopped
- About 100g (3½ oz) cooked meat — we used gammon
- Handful of cooked cabbage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Top tip: You can use bacon or lardons, and frozen vegetables, and add a can of tomatoes instead of passata, and substitute rice for the pasta.
- Put the oil and onion in a large pan, and cook for about 5 mins until the onion is soft.
- Add the passata, plus 500ml (16fl oz) water, the beans, pasta, a crumbled stock cube and the oregano.
- Bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chopped vegetables and cooked meat. Heat through and serve topped with shredded, cooked cabbage that’s also been heated through, in a microwave. Season and serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 190(kcal)
- Fat 5.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.