Quorn vegetable paella
Skill level: Bit of effort
Substitute meat for Quorn in this flavoursome, veg-packed vegetable paella recipe. This delicious vegetarian paella is perfect if you don't eat meat or fish. This recipe serves 4 people and will take only 55 mins to prepare and cook. It's a great mid-week choice if you fancy something different for dinner. The kids will love tucking into this delicious dish. The veggies count towards your 5-a-day and the protein in the Quorn will keep you fuller for longer.
- 350g Quorn pieces
- 2 lemons – zest and juice
- 300ml/ ½ pint dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil – a fruity oil is good for this dish
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced in rings
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and sliced in rings
- 450g tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 225g thin green beans
- 225g peas
- 450g long grain or Valencia Paella rice
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 teaspoons mild chilli powder
- 600ml/1 pint vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- To garnish - 1 lemon cut into wedges & olives
- In a shallow bowl marinate the Quorn pieces in the lemon zest and juice and wine.
- Heat the olive oil in a large shallow frying pan. Fry the onions and garlic gently until soft and golden. Add the peppers and fry for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, beans and peas and cook for a further 6 minutes.
- Remove the Quorn pieces from the lemon juice and wine marinade, reserve both. Add the rice, paprika, saffron, turmeric, chilli, reserved marinade and stir well.
- Stir in the stock and simmer well for about 15 minutes. Sir in the Quorn pieces and continue simmering for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is tender adding more liquid if required.
- Season to taste, sprinkle over the parsley and serve with the lemon wedges and olives.
Fancy making a traditional paella? Try our classic how to make paella recipe