Kelly Douglass' christmas cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
goodtoknow user Kelly posted her pretty Christmas fruit cake on our Facebook page and says: 'This cake is very forgiving so you can add in fruit and nuts and it will still turn out perfect'
- 120g/4oz margarine
- 170g/6oz sugar
- 340g/140z dried fruit
- 225ml/8fl oz water
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½tsp of mixed spice
- 2 beaten eggs
- 120g/4oz plain flour
- 120g/4oz self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- You will need either a 7" square tin or an 8" round tin.
The cake can be stored for a couple of months in a tin wrapped in foil and can be 'spiked' with brandy and decorated to become a Christmas cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC/gas mark 4
- Prepare the tin by applying a thin layer of margarine and 2 layers of greaseproof paper.
- Put the margarine, water, sugar, fruit, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice in a saucepan over a moderate heat. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 min.
- Pour into a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Add eggs, flour and salt to the cooled mixture.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 1 ¼ hrs, until an inserted metal skewer comes out clean.