Butternut squash and ginger soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Butternut squash is in season. Make the most of it by teaming it with ginger and a touch of chilli, in this warming soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and chopped into chunks
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp chopped red chillies
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 125ml coconut milk, plus a little extra for serving
- a handful of roughly chopped mint leaves and chopped chives (optional)
- lime juice
5 large carrots, peeled and chopped can be used instead of the butternut squash
- In a large, wide-based pan, heat the olive oil and cook the butternut squash, onion, ginger and chillies until soft.
- Add the stock, coconut milk and some salt and pepper, then bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Blend in a processor, then serve with the fresh herbs if using, a squeeze of lime juice, and extra splash of coconut milk.