- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 12 green cardamom pods, husks removed, seeds ground
- 125g (4oz) refined spelt flour
- 50g (1¾oz) rice flour
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Baking sheet lined with Bakewell paper
Instead of ground rice, you can use ground hazelnuts and flavour with ground ginger.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Roughly crush the cardamom pods, remove the husks and grind the seeds to get ½ tsp spice. Add to the creamed mixture with the spelt flour and rice flour. Stir until the mixture binds together.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 3 or 160°C. Roll the dough out to a 20cm (8in) round and place on the paper on baking sheet. Mark into 8 portions. Pinch the edges and prick with a fork. Bake for 40-50 mins until pale golden. Leave for 5 mins, then re-mark the sections if need be. Transfer, on the paper, to a rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 222(kcal)
- Fat 13.0g
- Saturates 8.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.