Ally Jones' chocolate cherry brownies
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
goodtoknow user Ally made these chocolate brownies for her father-in-law's birthday. She said: 'There was complete silence and huge smiles while we devoured the brownies with a cup of tea!'
IngredientsFor the brownies:
- 125g dark chocolate
- 100g milk chocolate
- 125g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 225g caster sugar
- 160g plain flour
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- 175g morello cherries
- 100g melted chocolate
- 100g margarine
- 300g icing sugar
- 4tbsp drinking chocolate powder
For a drier and less sugary brownie, leave the frosting off the top
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Melt the dark and milk chocolate with the butter over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, set aside.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy. Add the caster sugar and whisk until thickened. Whisk in the melted chocolate. Add the flour and stir in. When mixed together, stir in the chocolate drops.
- Line a 12x8inch tin with greaseproof paper and pour the mixture into the tin. Spread evenly.
- Place the morello cherries evenly across the surface and push into the mixture. Bake in the oven for 30-35mins. To test if it's cooked, insert a skewer into the centre. When ready, the skewer will be clean when removed.
- Leave tin to cool completely before removing the brownie.
- Whisk together the margarine and icing sugar and chocolate powder, then whisk in the melted chocolate.
- Spread across the top of the brownie and decorate with sugar sprinkles.