Seasonal pumpkin and orange soup
- 3tbsp good olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 500g (1lb) pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 400g (14oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 900ml (1Ĺ pints) hot vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60g (2oz) pumpkin seeds
- Good pinch of sea salt
- Few sprigs of fresh coriander
I recommend buying the pumpkin seeds separately, as the ones you find in the centre of the pumpkin tend not be so tasty.Kate Moseley
- Heat 2tbsp of the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook gently for 5 mins until softened.
- Add the chopped pumpkin and sweet potatoes, the orange zest and juice, garlic and coriander, then pour in the vegetable stock. Season to taste. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 mins until the pumpkin and sweet potato are tender.
- Turn off the heat and use a stick blender to whizz the soup until itís really smooth.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add the pumpkin seeds and sea salt. Cook for 2-3 mins, shaking the pan, until the pumpkin seeds begin to pop and turn brown.
- Serve the soup in warm bowls, sprinkled with the pumpkin seeds and a couple of coriander sprigs.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 320(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.