Skill level: Easy peasy
For a Friday night curry that's different to the usual korma or tikka, try this delicious chicken dhansak. It uses a medium spice curry paste and if you're out of chicken you can make it a veggy dish!
- 6 chicken thigh fillets or 500g chicken breast, diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 410g can lentils, drained
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 3tbsp medium curry paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1tbsp oil
- Basmati rice
- Mango chutney
This can be cooked in the oven at fan 170°C, conventional 190°C, gas 5 for 30-40 mins or until the meat is tender. It can also be portioned and frozen. Defrost thoroughly in the fridge before reheating.
- In a wok or deep sided frying pan, heat oil and fry onion until soft, add garlic and fry for 1 min.
- Add chicken and fry for a few mins to brown, stir in curry paste and gently fry for 1 min.
- Stir in tomatoes and lentils, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 20 mins or until the chicken is tender.
- Serve with plain boiled Basmati rice and mango chutney.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 290(kcal)
- Fat 9.1g
- Saturates 0.9g
- Sugars 4.0g
- Salt 0.3g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.