Easy mushroom risotto
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Using our easy mushroom risotto recipe this dish will quickly become a mid-week family staple in no time. Risotto is much easier to make than you might think and doesn't have to use a lot of ingredients. All you need is the correct rice and a bit of patience! Risotto recipes are perfect for a filling winter warmer or as a side portion with a summer salad and plenty of fresh vegetables. The mushrooms and the peas in this recipe work wonders together. If you don't have any peas in the freezer you could use asparagus instead - it's a good choice especially when its in season. This classic risotto recipe works out at only 307 calories per serving and 2g of fat. This risotto recipe serves 4 people and will take around 45 mins to prepare and cook - it's well worth the wait!
Look out for proper risotto rice at the supermarket to give a good texture - arborio or Carnaroli rice are the best types. You can sprinkle each serving with 1tbsp of finely grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese.
IngredientsTo make this easy mushroom risotto recipe you will need:
- 1tspn vegetable oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 300g risotto rice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- 75g frozen peas, thawed
- Ground black pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and cook the spring onions over a medium-high heat for a few seconds. Add the rice and cook over a low heat for about 1 min, stirring all the time until the rice looks glossy but not brown.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms, then pour in about half the hot stock and stir well. Cook over a medium heat for 20-25 mins, stirring often and gradually and adding the remaining stock a little at a time until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Check that the rice is tender. It should have a nice creamy texture. If it needs cooking for a bit longer, add a little more hot water.
- Add the peas, stirring gently to mix them in. Check the seasoning, adding some pepper if needed. Serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 307(kcal)
- Fat 2.0g
- Saturates 0.2g
- Sugars 1.0g
- Salt 0.7g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.