Chicken and sweetcorn soup
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
A creamy soup made with chopped cooked chicken, onion, sweetcorn, stock and chopped fresh parsley. Itís utterly delicious!
- 15g margarine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 100g canned or frozen sweetcorn
- 100g cooked chicken, chopped
- 300ml (Ĺ pint) semi-skimmed milk
- 2tbsp cornflour, blended with 2tbsp cold water
- Ground black pepper
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
You could use chopped cooked turkey or cooked peeled prawns (thawed if frozen) instead of chicken. Use a leek instead of the onion, and frozen peas instead of sweetcorn.
- Melt the margarine in a large saucepan and gently cook the onion for 2-3 mins, until softened. Add the potatoes and stock.
- Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 mins, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the sweetcorn, chicken and milk and cook gently for 3-4 mins, stirring often.
- Stir the blended cornflour and add it to the soup, stirring until thickened. Add the parsley (if using) and cook for another few moments. Season with ground black pepper, then serve.
Complete the How Are The Kids? questionnaire online and get your FREE Action Plan full of handy hints to get the kids fighting fit and full of good stuff.
More Change4Life healthy recipes
Pancakes with lemon
Baked macaroni cheese with tomatoes
Easy mushroom risotto
Low-fat cottage pie
Pasta with vegetables
Speedy chicken couscous
Simple sweet 'n' sour chicken
Sweet potato, red pepper and lentil spread
Tasty chicken wraps
Easy vegetable curry
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 244(kcal)
- Fat 6.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
- Sugars 8.0g
- Salt 0.4g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.