Sue Leach's dairy- free chocolate cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
goodtoknow user Sue made this delicious dairy-free chocolate treat, substituting the milk and margarine. Sue says: 'It was so good that nobody could tell it was free from dairy!'
- 200g (7oz) self-raising flour
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 25g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 1tbsp ground almond
- 100g (4oz) dairy-free margarine
- 2 eggs
- 75ml dairy-free milk
- ½tsp vanilla essence
- 60g dairy-free Margarine
- 1tbsp cocoa
- 250g icing sugar (sifted)
- 45ml hot dairy-free coconut milk
- 1tsp vanilla essence
Serve the cake as an afternoon treat or add candles for a birthday celebration
- Heat oven to 180°C conventional, 160°C fan.
- Grease or line 2x7-inch tins.
- Mix flour, sugar, almond and cocoa in a bowl. Rub in the margarine until fully combined.
- Beat eggs with the milk in a jug and add the vanilla.
- Stir mixture well.
- Place mixture in prepared tins and cook for 25 mins. Remove and allow to cool.
- Make the milk chocolate topping by melting the margarine in a pan. In a bowl sift the icing sugar and stir in the cocoa. Pour the melted margarine in with the hot milk. Beat until smooth and glossy.
- When cold sandwich the cakes together and top with the milk chocolate topping.
- Decorate with strawberries, cherries or walnuts.