Makes: 4 bags
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Bit of effort
Treacle toffee is a great addition to a Halloween or Bonfire Night party. Easy to make, this treacle toffee recipe is a sticky sweet treat that is perfect as a food gift or a sweet treat at special occasions. This recipe makes 4 gift bags worth and will take around 50 mins to make, plus cooling time. The treacle will set hard so be careful when it comes to breaking with a rolling pin. If you don't want pieces of treacle to fly everywhere when breaking up, place a kitchen or tea towel over the top before smashing.
To make regular toffee follow this recipe with only the butter and sugar
- 350g salted butter, softened
- 200g black treacle
- 425g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 397g can condensed milk
- Gently melt the butter, treacle, sugar and milk in a large saucepan, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth turn up the heat to high and boil to 130C, stirring so the mixture doesn’t catch and burn on the bottom.
- Pour into a 24cm x 32 cm baking dish lined with buttered greaseproof paper and leave to sit for 10 mins before putting in the fridge to set.
- Once set, bash with a rolling pin to break up and serve.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.