Skill level: Easy peasy
This full-flavoured traditional French dish is made from black olive, capers, anchovies and olive oil. It’s usually served as an appetiser spread on small round toasts or with breadsticks and vegetable crudités to dip. For the most authentic taste choose French Nicoise olives and a good quality fruity French olive oil. Once made, the tapenade will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge but allow it to stand at room temperature for 30 mins before serving.
- 3tbsp capers, rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 175g pitted black olives
- 6 canned anchovy fillets, drained
- 6tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
Replace the black olives with plump green olives and add a little finely grated lemon zest for a green tapenade.
- Place the capers, garlic, olives and anchovy fillets in a food processor or blender and process for a few seconds until finely chopped.
- Add the oil, nearly all the parsley and lemon juice and process for just a few seconds to form a course paste. Season to taste with black pepper and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with the remaining parsley.