Lisa Faulkner's Moroccan lamb shanks
Skill level: Bit of effort
This delicious lamb dish is quick and easy to prepare and contains aromatic spices for the perfect comfort food throughout the winter months
- 4 large lamb shanks
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp ground ginger
- ½tsp ground cumin
- ½tsp all spice
- ½tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 large red onion – finely diced
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250ml chicken stock
- Salt - season to taste
- 2tbsp of chopped flat leaf parsley
Serve with herby mashed potatoes for a hearty meal
- Preheat oven to 150ºC, gas mark 3
- Trim any excess fat off the lamb shanks
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven proof casserole pan and brown the lamb shanks.
- Take out and add the spices and onion to the same oil and fry for 3-4 mins.
- Put the lamb shanks back in the pan and add the tinned tomatoes, stock and enough water to cover.
- Season to taste
- Bring to the boil, cover and put in the oven for 2½ hours.
- Take the lamb shanks out of the pan and cover with foil to keep hot.
- Put the casserole pan on the hob and lightly boil the liquid until reduces slightly.
- Add back the lamb shanks to reheat.
- Add the chopped flat leaf parsley and serve.