Red velvet whoopie pies with orange buttercream
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Whoopie pies and red velvet cake are about the greatest things to have come from America! Try this delicious combination of both, for a sweet treat you'll want to make again
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 180g light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 300g plain flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1½tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 250ml buttermilk
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1tsp red food colour paste
- 2 egg whites
- 140g sugar
- 220g butter, at room temperature
- Zest of 1 orange
They'll keep in the fridge for a few days and can be frozen. It's best to refrigerate and freeze them without the filling.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Line two baking trays with baking paper or silicone mats.
- Whisk together the butter and sugar. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, blend the red food colour paste with the cocoa powder.
- Whisk in the egg until completely mixed, then add the flour mixture in 3 parts alternating with the buttermilk. Mix in the red cocoa powder mixture.
- Fill a piping bag and pipe 5cm rounds onto the lined baking trays.
- Bake for 10-15 mins or until the cakes spring back when touched. Allow to cool before filling with buttercream.
- Hand whisk the egg whites until foamy. Mix in the sugar, and place mixture over a water bath. Keep whisking by hand until the mixture turns whitish, is piping hot and the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from water bath and mix with an electric mixer on high speed. Keep mixing until the bowl starts to cool down.
- Add butter, one tablespoon at a time at first, then 2tbsp at a time. Make sure to incorporate the butter properly into the mixture each time you add butter.
- Add the orange zest.
- Place buttercream into a piping bag, fitted again with a small nozzle and pipe a small amount onto a macaron shell. Cover with another macaron shell. Refrigerate for best results.
This recipe is taken from freelance food photographer Mowie Kay's blog, Mowielicious. See more of Mowie's photos and recipes at www.mowiekay.com