Marzipan and orange traybake
- 175g (6oz) butter
- 100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- Grated zest and chopped flesh of 1 large orange
- 250g (8oz) white marzipan, coarsely grated
- 100g (3½ oz) icing sugar
- 1-2tbsp orange juice
- 15g (½ oz) chopped pistachio nuts (or toasted almonds)
- Tray bake tin, lined with Bakewell paper
Top tip: You can use fresh orange juice or concentrated juice from a carton for the icing.
- Set the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a tbsp of the flour, then beat in the orange zest and roughly chopped orange flesh. Fold in the rest of the flour and half the marzipan.
- Spread the mixture into the tin and sprinkle the rest of the marzipan over the top. Bake for 35-40 mins. Leave in the tin for 10 mins to cool, then cool on a wire rack. Cut into 16 slices.
To freeze: Pack the slices into a rigid container, interleaving with paper. Seal, label and freeze. Use within 3 months.
To serve from freezer: Take out slices, thaw at room temperature, then ice and decorate them as above. For extra speed, pop a few slices at a time in the microwave, for a few seconds, to defrost.
Like this tray bake? You'll love our collection of easy tray bake recipes
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 265(kcal)
- Fat 13.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.