Lorraine Kelly’s chicken soup
TV favourite Lorraine shares her recipe for her mum's chicken soup. Lorraine says: 'This is not only comforting, filling and healthy – it also tastes fantastic, even though I can never get it as good as my mum does!'
- 2 pieces uncooked chicken
- (legs are best)
- 4 or 5 carrots
- 1 small turnip
- 4 potatoes
- 1 large leek
- 4 sticks celery
Lorraine says: 'It is a good idea to make a pot on Sunday night and it will last you through the week. It’s perfect for lunch; just don’t overdo the crusty bread and butter!'
- Put the chicken in a pot, cover with water and cook. (Don’t use too much water, you can always add more laterif you have to.)
- Chop up the carrots, turnip, potatoes, leek and celery. (Chop up the leek and celery finer than the other chunks, making sure the celery isn’t ‘stringy’.)
- Put the veg in the pot with the chicken and water as you cut them up. Cook on a high heat until all the vegetables are in the pot, then turn it down and let the whole thing simmer for an hour. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the vegetables are ready (just taste them, you’ll know when they are soft enough), take the chicken pieces out and mash the vegetables. Skin the chicken, then chop up the meat and put the pieces back in the pot.
- Finally, chop up and add the parsley.