Mincemeat cupcakes with coconut snow
Cooking time:(including icing time)
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
These mincemeat cupcakes with coconut snow are the perfect Christmas treat for your Christmas party - they make the most of the best bit of Christmas - the mince pies! These are really fun little cupcakes you can make with the kids, plus, you could even add some colourful sprinkles if you want to mix things up a bit and make them even more colourful. You can buy some lovely Christmas-themed cupcake cases too which will add some colour and fun to them!
Brushing a little melted jam over the tops of your cupcakes stops them drying out and helps the icing stick
IngredientsFor the cakes:
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g self-raising flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 2tbsp milk
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 75g mincemeat
- 200g icing sugar
- 3tbsp clementine juice or water
- 100g desiccated coconut, plus extra for 'snow'
- Set the oven to 190°C/Gas 5.
- Place all the cupcake ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between 12 cases, and bake in the centre of the oven for 18-20 mins, or until the cakes have risen and are just firm to the touch in the centre.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool before decorating.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl. Add the clementine juice or water, 1tbsp at a time and mix together until it makes a thick paste.
- Fold in the desiccated coconut. When the cakes are cool, spread the mixture thickly over the top.
- Shake a thick layer of coconut over the top, spinkle with gold balls or other Christmassy decorations and serve.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.