Maltesers meringues with fresh fruit
Cooking time:(plus cooling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Soft centred meringue teamed with crisp Maltesers are perfect partners. Serve sandwiched with crème fraiche and seasonal fruits.
- 3 egg whites at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 125g Maltesers plus and extra 25g roughly chopped
- 300ml half fat crème fraiche
- 300g seasonal fruits such as raspberries, strawberries passionfruit and blueberries
Choose colourful berries or even exotic pineapple or mango to impress with this dessert
- Preheat the oven to 120°/gas mark 2. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- Place the egg whites into a large bowl. Whisk until they form stiff peaks.
- With the whisk still running, start adding the sugar a tablespoon at a time, until the meringue is glossy and thick.
- Fold through the Maltesers then place heaped tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets and sprinkle with the remaining chopped Maltesers.
- Place in the oven and bake for 11/2 hours until the meringues are crisp and a subtle pale golden colour. Turn the oven off then leave the meringues in there to cool.
- Sandwich the meringues together in pairs with the crème fraiche.
- Serve with a selection of fresh seasonal fruit.