Baked bean soup
Skill level: Bit of effort
Do your kids like helping in the kitchen? New CBeebies show I Can Cook makes it even easier for your kids to help with this simple baked bean soup
- 3 heaped dsp(60g)borlotti beans rinsed and drained
- 1 spring onion
- 1 stem of celery
- 3 dsp (50g)chopped cooked bacon
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 heaped dsp(25g)tomato puree
- 1 cup water (250ml)
- pinch of stock powder
When cooking with your kids, using scissors is safer than using knives
- Start by measuring the beans into your casserole dish, you can give them a bit of a squash with the back of the spoon to loosen the skins, this will help thicken the soup a bit.
- Cut up the celery stalk too using scissors (you might find you can snap the celery too!) and add these to the casserole. Next top and tail the spring onion chop up into small pieces. Measure in the chopped, cooked bacon.
- Take a clove of garlic and top and tail with scissors then it is easier to peel off the papery dry layer. Put the garlic in the bag and crush with the rolling pin. Use your dessert spoon to scoop out the crushed garlic and add to your casserole.
- Now add a pinch of dried chilli flakes and the tomato puree using the spoon. To finish add the water and a pinch of stock powder and stir well and put the lid on. You will need to ask a grown up to help with this part. Bake in a pre-heated oven fan 160°C/180°C/Gas 4 for 25-30 minutes and stir well before serving.