Chocolate-coated caramel fudge
- 90g (3oz) butter
- 170g can evaporated milk
- 500g (1lb) golden granulated sugar
- 398g can caramel
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 600g (1¼lb) Fairtrade dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 18cm (7in) square tin, lined with baking parchment
- 2 x 12-hole, deep ice-cube tray
Give this fudge, wrapped in cellophane, as a gift with a bowl or cup and saucer
- ut the butter, evaporated milk, sugar, caramel and vanilla extract into a pan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and boil for 8 mins, stirring occasionally until the fudge thickens.
- Plunge the base of the pan into a large bowl of cold water, to stop it cooking. Whisk fudge with a hand-held electric mixer for 5 mins (this gives it the characteristic crumbly texture). Pour into the prepared tin. Cool for at least 1 hour.
- Cut the fudge into 24 rectangles. Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and heat until the chocolate has melted.
- Polish the inside of the ice-cube trays with kitchen paper, to ensure they are clean and dry. Pour in a layer of melted chocolate in each section of the tray. Top with a piece of fudge and pour on the rest of the chocolate. Chill in the fridge for a few hours.
- To serve: Upturn the ice-cube trays and tap the fudge out on to parchment paper. Cut the cubes into slices, if you like.
- To give: Wrap fudge in clear cellophane and tie with a pretty ribbon, then attach a label to each parcel with an eat-by date and a note to store fudge in fridge.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 300(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.