Meringues with Christmas compote
IngredientsFor the meringues:
- 6 large egg whites
- 350g (12oz) caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 150ml (¼ pint) red wine
- 125g (4oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 clementines (zest removed from 1 of them)
- 250g (8oz) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 150g (5oz) fresh or frozen raspberries
- 150ml (¼ pint) double cream
- 150g tub Greek yogurt
- 2 baking sheets, lined with non-stick paper
The meringues will keep in an airtight container for a week and the compote will keep a few days in the fridge.
- To make the meringues: Set the oven to Gas Mark ½ or 120°C. Whisk the egg whites in a very clean, dry bowl (an electric mixer is a must, really), until they reach firm peaks. Gradually whisk in the sugar and salt until the mixture is firm and glossy.
- Use a large serving spoon to shape 12 rough ovals of meringue on the lined baking trays. Bake for about 1 hour 30 mins to 1 hour 45 mins until crisp and firm. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the compote: Gently heat wine with the sugar and cinnamon stick in a heavy-based pan until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then add zest from 1 of the clementines and stir in the cranberries. Bring back to the boil, then add the chopped pear and simmer for 3-4 mins. Cool in a bowl. Add the raspberries and segments from the 3 clementines.
- To serve: Whip the cream until just firm, and then stir in the Greek yogurt. Serve the meringues, along with the fruit compote and cream mixture in separate serving bowls so your guests can help themselves.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 280(kcal)
- Fat 8.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.