Antony Worrall Thompson's traditional breakfast with herby tomatoes
- 1 large free-range egg
- 15g (1/2 oz) unsalted butter
- 2 rashers of smoked bacon
- 2 pieces of black pudding
- 1-tablespoon olive oil
- 450g (1 lb) large, ripe but firm tomatoes
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-teaspoon soft thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovies, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons rough chopped parsley
- Quarter teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 55g (2 oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- Ground black pepper
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a frying pan then add black pudding and bacon. Fry for five minutes until the bacon is cooked and slightly browned.
- Heat the butter in a small non-stick omelette pan, once the butter is hot and foaming crack the egg straight into the pan.
- Allow the egg to set for about 30 seconds and then lightly baste the egg with a little of the butter whilst it is cooking. Cook over a medium heat until the egg is done to your liking and remove from the pan - be careful not to break the egg.
- Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally and remove the seeds. Sprinkle the cut sides with salt and then place them cut side down onto kitchen paper to remove some liquid. Allow the tomatoes to stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre heat the oven to 190c/Gas mark 5.
- Place the shallot, garlic, thyme, oil and anchovies (if using) in a food processor and blend to a smooth paste. Fold in the parsley, chilli and breadcrumbs. Season the mixture with pepper.
- Spoon the bread mixture into the tomato cavities and bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven. Serve on hot toast or at room temperature with crispy bacon or grilled mushrooms.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.