Christmas fairy cakes
Skill level: Bit of effort
Get the kids to help you decorate these cute fairy cakes - they make great gifts for giving out to school friends
- 200g dark muscovado sugar
- 175g butter, chopped
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 200g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- Zest and juice of one orange
- 85g ground almonds
- 100ml dark rum / brandy / orange juice
- 750g mixed dried fruit of your choice (e.g. raisins, glace cherries, apricots)
- 85g nuts (we used chopped pecans) 500g pack fondant icing sugar
- Holly sprigs to decorate
- First, weigh out your ingredients. Pour your sugar, butter, dried fruit, ginger orange zest and juice into a large pan.
- Pour over the rum/brandy/juice and turn the heat on and slowly bring to the boil, stirring frequently to melt the butter.
- Reduce the heat and bubble gently for 10 minutes – stir regularly. Set aside to cool.
- Stir in the nuts, eggs and ground almonds into the fruit. Sift in the flour, baking powder and spices and stir everything together, gently but thoroughly. Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Scoop the cake mix into 24 fairy cake cases then level tops with a spoon dipped in hot water. Bake for 35-45 mins until golden and just firm to touch. A skewer inserted should come out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Make up the fondant icing to a spreading consistency, then swirl on top of each cupcake, then leave to set. Will keep in a tin for 3 weeks.