Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Stay warm inside and dress up your icing snowman as you give your cupcakes a festive twist with this snazzy snowman recipe. You don't get much cuter than the fizzy strawberry laces scarf, plus this is a fab recipe to get the kids excited about baking or in the festive mood with. They can help you mix up the batter and then decorate the snowmen - just make sure they've cooled fully before decorating them as the icing will melt off! Sometimes patience is the hardest thing...!
- 100g/4oz softened butter or soft margarine
- 100g/4oz golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g/4oz self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 150g/5oz ready-to-roll white icing
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- Red fizzy lances for the scarves
- Tubes of coloured writing icing
- Sugar baubles (for cake decoration) and edible silver baubles
- Preheat the oven to 180C/300F/Gas Mark 2. Place the softened butter or margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and vanilla essence into the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat for a few minutes until the mixture is light in colour and fluffy.
- Line a bun tin with eight paper cases and divide the mixture between them, filling the cases to about two-thirds of the way up. Bake for about 20 minutes until the fairy cakes have risen and are lightly golden. Lift the cakes (still in their paper cases) out of the tins and leave them to cool on a wire rack.
- Dust a clean work surface with icing sugar and roll out the icing to about 5mm/ľin thick. Cut out eight circles using a small pastry cutter that is the same size as the top of your cakes. Put the apricot jam into a small dish and stir in one tablespoon of hot water. Brush this over the surface of the cakes and stick the circles of icing on top.
- To decorate the cakes, use marshmallows for the snowmenís heads, black writing icing for the eyes, red writing icing for the smiles and sugar baubles for noses (stick them on with a blob of writing icing). Stick the heads on the cakes using a little apricot jam, then stick on the edible silver baubles for buttons. Wrap fizzy lances around the snowmenís necks for scarves.