Garlic and cheese stuffed mushrooms
Skill level: Easy peasy
This garlic and cheese stuffed mushrooms recipe is a great choice for parties and they also make great starters. Easy, delicious and the perfect canapés. Add parsley and mustard to the filling to give it an extra kick of flavour. This recipe serves 4 people and will take around 20 mins to prepare and cook. If you're making these for a party we'd recommend doubling the recipe. This recipe uses Portobello mushrooms but you can use chestnut mushrooms instead. These stuffed mushrooms are best made on the same day you plan on serving them as they're best fresh. As they're so quick to rustle up this shouldn't be a problem! You can prepare them in advance and then all you have to do is pop them in the oven when guests arrive.
If preferable, serve on a thick wedge of farmhouse toast.
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½tbsp wholegrain Dijon mustard
- 200g cheese grated
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp double cream
- Handful of curly parsley, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- In a bowl combine the garlic, mustard, cheese, cream, breadcrumbs and parsley and mix well until fully combined. Season well.
- Drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil and roast at 180C, gas 4 for about 15 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove from the oven and generously fill each mushroom with the mix, dot with butter and finish cooking under the grill until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with a scatter of chopped parsley and a twist of black pepper.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.