Fillet steak with red wine sauce
- 4 sweet potatoes (about 1kg/2¼lb), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 8 sage leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 x 175g (6oz) fillet steaks
- Knob of butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 200ml (7fl oz) red wine
- 400ml can beef consommé or good beef stock
- 2 tsp butter mixed with 2 tsp plain flour
- Pinch of sugar
For a smooth sauce, whizz the ingredients in the pan with a stick blender.
- To make the sauce: Warm the butter in a pan, add the onion and carrot, and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins. Add the wine and consommé, or stock, and simmer for 10-15 mins until reduced by almost half. Whisk in the butter-and-flour mixture to thicken it. Season and add the sugar.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for about 15 mins, drain well and dry out over the heat. Pour 1 tbs oil into a pan, add the sage leaves and fry until crispy. Take them out, put potatoes back in the pan with the flavoured oil, add plenty of seasoning and mash well.
- Rub the rest of the oil over the steaks and season well. Heat a griddle or frying pan and cook the steaks for 2-4 mins on each side. Add any juices from the pan to the sauce before serving with the steaks, the mash, garnished with sage leaves, and your
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 641(kcal)
- Fat 25.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.