Winter root vegetable tagine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 4 carrots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 3 parsnips, peeled and halved lengthways
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and each cut into 4
- 300g (10oz) butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2.5cm (1in) chunks
- 600ml (1 pint) hot vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
You can add celeriac rather than parsnips, and use beans instead of chickpeas
- Heat the oil in the casserole dish and fry the onions for 5 minutes, to soften but not brown.
- Add the garlic, tomato purée and harissa paste and cook for 1 min.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes and butternut squash. Pour in the stock and season. Cover and simmer for 25 mins until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the chickpeas and canned tomatoes and warm through for 5 mins. Serve sprinkled with fresh coriander.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 353(kcal)
- Fat 6.5g
- Saturates 0.8g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.