Lisa Faulkner's bran and blueberry muffins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Lisa Faulkner's bran and blueberry muffins are healthier than regular muffins as they're not made with white flour but theyre just as delicious. They're really spongey and fruity and make a great breakfast or afternoon snack. They're sweet without being over-sweet and are so simple to make that you can even get the kids involved with the mixing. Lisa Faulkner says: 'I've had this recipe for years - just mix the dry things in one bowl, the wet in another and then stir the two together. By the time you've made the coffee they are practically ready!'
These are great for a healthy Sunday breakfast
- 250g (9oz) wholewheat flour
- 200g (7oz) natural oat or wheatbran
- 4tsp baking powder
- 2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch salt
- 450ml (3/4 pint) natural yogurt or buttermilk
- 180ml (6 fl oz) vegetable oil
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 100g (4oz) light muscovado sugar
- 350g (12oz) blueberries
- Line 18 sections of two muffin tins with paper cases or grease lightly with a little oil. Mix the flour, bran, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a little salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the yogurt or buttermilk, oil and vanilla to a second, smaller bowl then add the eggs and sugar and fork together until smooth. Add to the bowl of dry ingredients and fork together until just mixed.
- Add the blueberries and mix briefly, being careful not to overmix. Divide the mixture between the sections of the muffin tin.
- Bake at 200oC (400oF) Gas mark 6 for about 20 minutes until tops are firm when pressed. Lift out of the tin, transfer to a wire rack and serve while warm, or leave to cool completely.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 205(kcal)
- Fat 11.8g
- Saturates 1.6g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.