Spiced carrot and lentil soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A delicious, spicy lentil and carrot soup is the perfect lunch-time snack if you're watching your weight. At just 179 calories this tasty soup is a diet must-have, but it's so filling and delicious, you could just as easily make it to feed a family. This recipe only serves two, so if you're making it for the family, make sure to double up the ingredients to have enough for four people. It's a really nice, filling meal that's easy to make and inexpensive too. You should already have a lot of the ingredients at home, so you won't necessarily even do a shop for them. It's got a really nice, vibrant colour to it too, which will appeal to a lot of kids and get them eating their veg. It takes only 40 minutes to make this recipe so you can enjoy it any night of the week.
- 300g (10oz) carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 60g (2oz) red split lentils
- 750ml (1¼ pint) hot vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soured cream (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed (optional)
- cPut the carrots into a pan with the lentils, stock, ground coriander and seasoning. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Pour the soup into a blender and whizz until smooth.
- Serve topped with a spoonful of soured cream and a sprinkling of crushed coriander seeds, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 179(kcal)
- Fat 4.0g
- Saturates 2.2g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.