Chicken miso soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
A chicken miso soup is a healthy, light soup using Japanese miso that's perfect if you're watching the calories or have a cold coming on. This miso soup makes a great low calorie snack or meal - at 132 calories per portion, you can enjoy this soup any time of the day! It's really warming and full of delicious mushrooms and tender chicken - and if you like, you can also add noodles right at the end if you want it to be a bit more filling (bear in mind this will bring up the calorie count, unfortunately!). For a really flavoursome soup that's so easy to make, this chicken miso option is such a good choice - plus it's really easy to get your hands on miso so you've no reason to not give it a go!
- 2 x 15g Japanese miso paste sachets (we used Clearspring)
- 1 chicken breast, skinned and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Dash of soy sauce
- ¼ Savoy cabbage, finely shredded
You’ll find miso paste sachets among the oriental or Japanese ingredients in the supermarket.
- Pour 600ml (1 pint) boiling water into a pan and whisk in the miso paste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the cabbage, and simmer for 10 mins.
- Stir in the cabbage, cook for 3 mins and serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 132(kcal)
- Fat 1.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.