Gordon Ramsay's fish cakes with anchovy dressing
Prep time:(with 2 hours chilling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Gordon Ramsay's fish cakes with anchovy dressing is the ideal recipe is you're watching your weight but still want to make an impressive meal for guests. Gordon Ramsay's healthy but fancy fish cakes recipe will be sure to dazzle dinner party guests or make the perfect light option come the midweek rush. This recipe makes 4 mouth-watering, generous sized fish cakes which are complimented by the punchy anchovy dressing. This recipe takes around 15 mins to prep, plus 2hrs chilling time so we'd recommend starting to make this dish in advance. It will take around 45 mins to cook and the method for doing this is super easy.
- 400g La Ratte, Charlotte or other waxy potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 2–3 tbsp lemon juice
- sea salt and black pepper
- few thyme sprigs
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 300g salmon fillet
- 300g smoked haddock fillet
- handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- handful of chervil, chopped
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 50g Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- bunch of flat leaf parsley, leaves only, chopped
- 4 marinated anchovies, chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the potatoes, cut into even-sized pieces and drop into a pan of well salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10–15 minutes until tender when pierced with a knife. Drain well. While still hot, mash the potatoes using a potato ricer back into the pan. Mix in the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and seasoning to taste. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the thyme, lemon slices and salmon to a wide pan of slowly simmering salted water and poach for a minute. Slide in the smoked haddock and gently poach for another 4–5 minutes until both fish are almost cooked through. Transfer to a plate, using a fish slice. When cool enough to handle, break the fish into large flakes, discarding the skin and any pin-bones.
- Mix the fish and chopped herbs into the mashed potatoes, using your hands. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Divide the mixture into four and shape into neat patties. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Coat the fish cakes in seasoned flour, then dip into the egg and finally into the breadcrumbs, turning to coat evenly all over. Reshape them as necessary and place on a tray or plate. Chill for 2 hours to set the shape.
- To cook, heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a wide ovenproof frying pan. Fry the fish cakes for 2–3 minutes until golden brown, then flip over and fry the other side for 1–2 minutes. Finish cooking in the oven for 5–7 minutes.
- Make the dressing in the meantime, by gently warming all the ingredients together in a pan for 3–4 minutes. Spread a generous spoonful of dressing on each warm plate and rest a fishcake in the centre. Serve immediately, with peas or beans.
Recipes taken from Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite, by Gordon Ramsay published by Quadrille (£20, hardback).