Skill level: Bit of effort
Make this easy lasagne recipe to share and the whole family will love this classic Italian dinner. This version has layers of lean beef mince and tomato sauce, cheddar and parmesan cheese sauce and lasagne sheets. This simple lasagne recipe serves 6-8 people and is ideal if you're feeding lots of people in one go. It'll be on the table in 2 hours, but it's so worth the wait. If you want to make this recipe healthier, swap the beef mince for turkey mince or for the vegetarian version opt for Quorn mince instead. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat thoroughly before serving again. You can freeze this lasagne too. Leave it to cool after cooking, pop into an airtight container and freeze straight away for up to 1 month. To defrost, leave in the fridge overnight and once again reheat thoroughly before serving.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500g (1lb) lean minced beef
- 4 tbsp red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 700ml (24fl oz) milk
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 100g (3½oz) ready-grated Cheddar and mozzarella, mixed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 250-300g pack fresh lasagne sheets
- 30g (1oz) Parmesan, grated
- Large ovenproof baking dish
Use a tub of cheese sauce for speed, if you like. Work out how many sheets of lasagne you’ll need for the top layer and set them aside before layering up.
- To make the meat sauce: Heat the oil in large pan, add the onion and carrot and fry for 10 mins. Add the garlic, cook for another 2 mins and then tip this into a bowl.
- Brown the mince. Put onions back in, add the wine, ketchup, tomatoes, oregano and a bay leaf. Simmer for 30 mins.
- To make the white sauce: Put all but 3 tbsps of milk in a pan. Add the other bay leaf and the onion. Bring to the boil, then take it of the heat and leave it for 15 mins. Take out the onion and bay leaf. Mix the reserved 3 tbsps milk with the cornflour and whisk into the infused milk over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes to make a thickish, smooth sauce. Add the Cheddar and mozzarella and season well, with lots of nutmeg, too.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Spoon a thin layer of meat sauce into the dish, then a little cheese sauce. Put a layer of lasagne on top, add more of the meat and cheese sauces, for another couple of layers. Finish with lasagne sheets and cheese sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 45-60 mins.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 425(kcal)
- Fat 17.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.