Steamed pudding with marmalade sauce
IngredientsFor the pudding:
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 large, or 4 medium, eggs
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- Finely grated zest of 2 large oranges
- 1tsp baking powder
- 3tbsp milk
- Juice of 2 large oranges
- 5tbsp chunky Seville marmalade
- 1.2-1.5 litre (2-2½ pint) pudding basin, well-buttered
Put a disc of butter paper or Bakewell paper in the bottom of the basin, so that the pudding will turn out easily.
- Beat the butter and sugar together, with an electric whisk, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a tbsp of flour. Add the orange zest and then sift in the rest of the flour with the baking powder, add the milk and whisk in to make a smooth mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the basin, cover with a piece of buttered, pleated Bakewell paper and a piece of foil with a pleat in.
- Put the basin in a steamer over a pan of boiling water (or balanced on an upturned saucer in a large pan). Cover with a lid and steam for 2 hours, checking occasionally and topping up with boiling water.
- Take off the heat and leave it for 5-10 mins, while you make the sauce. Bring the orange juice to the boil in a small pan and boil until reduced by half. Add the marmalade and stir over the heat to melt and make a sauce. Spoon over the pudding. Serve hot with custard, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 321(kcal)
- Fat 17.0g
- Saturates 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.